Monday, July 16, 2012

Climbing partner

Recently I joined Planet Granite and started rock climbing, meaning I only boulder for now and I only go like once a week :/.  Anyhow, It is a great workout and lots of fun. It stimulates the mind and body. I love the challenge. The climbing community has intrigued  me and how it relates to meeting people.

I noticed whenever I meet new people, especially guys, we get on the subject of climbing, and they always mention how they are looking for a climbing partner. I know literally they mean they just want someone who will just belay them, but sometimes it feels like there's a deeper meaning behind it. It's as if they are putting it all out there, right away and straight to the point. Is it a sign of commitment? It totally feels like there is this underlining message, as if they mean business.  Like, "I don't fuck around, I'm a climber. I'm looking for someone who is just as serious about this sport/hobby as me, do you think you could commit to that?" Or,  "I'm looking for a climbing partner and I go a few times a week. What do you think? Want to meet up?"

Honestly, I have no idea how to take this statement. I freeze up and just say I'm a newbie who only boulders. Maybe that is a big sign that I don't know how to be a WE, but just only a ME.  Either way, I don't know if I'm ready to commitment to climbing with someone yet. It appears to be a lot of pressure. Then not only are you committing to that person, but you have to commitment to the sport by buying gear and all that jazz. Don't get me wrong, when I like some thing, I'm all about the commitment, sign me up. But, when you're just getting your feet wet in the shallow end,  it can be intimidating when a sexy men says he is looking for a climbing partner as he stares at you. It makes me just want to run the other direction and hide in a hole.

Maybe it some mental and physical push I just have to get over, just like climbing. You don't get better if you don't practice, right? Here's to completely a V2 next climb!

No comments:

Post a Comment